Thursday, April 06, 2006

The practical route don't look too good.

After weeks of recuperating at home and watching my diet like no man's business, my family has decided that it's best that I start taking the options I have. We've still have our hopes up for something truly miraculous to manifest into my life.

Then I started surfing the web again, for glimpses of modern medical hope. The statistical prognosis I read over at cancerhelp.uk was devastating to say the least:

Meningiomas are mostly of the slow growing type. If they are completely removed, over 9 out of 10 (90%) people live for more than 5 years. 8 out of 10 (80%) live for more than 10 years. Even if a slow growing meningioma cannot be completely removed, it may be controlled for a long time.

High grade, malignant meningiomas are more likely to come back after treatment. About 1 in 3 (30%) of those completely removed will come back if they are not treated with radiotherapy after surgery. About half (50%) of those diagnosed with this type of brain tumour live for more than 5 years.


Stop right there. 5 years??? 10 years give or take?? Plus, what if my tumor really isn't fully removable? This certainly puts my paranoia and uncertainty into new absurd levels. Nobody wants to hear a 5-year survival rate especially when you've only just stepped into your quarter-life crisis. 10 years to me right now is equivalent to just a marriage and 2 kids running around my backyard, if I ever get enough money to own one after my surgery...considering the side-effects that may occur.

It's better if I didn't dwell much into this until I've spoken to the opthalomogist and neurosurgeon tomorrow. We'll know how it is then. I hope He has not forsaken me.

  © Blogger template 'Gorgeous View' by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP