Sunday, April 09, 2006

R.I.P.: Kenny Ooi (1944 - 2006)

This certainly came as a shocking, unforeseen and unpleasant news for me today.



My beloved uncle Kenny Ooi Kar Tean , CEO of Lingham's Chilli Sauce passed away at approximately 1900 hours today. From what I've gathered, he died peacefully while he was sleeping in the afternoon. He had been battlling with diabetes all his midlife and had to endure the amputation of both his legs a few years ago resulting from gangrene infections to them. Liver complications followed suit. Wheelchair-bound, I was truly amazed that he still keep on fighting against all odds for years after that. He wasn't as cheery and upbeat as before but his gung-ho spirit was relentless whenever he speaks his mind about something.

To me, uncle Kenny was the most hardworking businessman I've ever known. When I was younger, I used to spend a lot of time at his place, listening to his antedotes about life and how he's used to reprimand with my cousin brother and sisters about their education and the importance of mannerism. We never really talked much about how he manages the sauce factory but you'd knew that he had work on his mind all the time. The Lingham's sauce business was his life. He brought up three wonderful children with that job. He will always be known as the man who taught me good manners and the importance of courtesy in life, for which I am eternally grateful for.

I'm going to try to attend his funeral next week whether or not my condition permits. It wouldn't be right to not pay my final respects for a gentleman like my uncle Kenny. My mind's drawing blanks now, devoid of any thoughts of my own set of problems. The timing of this certainly deserves a big slap in the head.

  © Blogger template 'Gorgeous View' by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP